Long Beach, California
Job Title: Robotics Engineer I/II
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Job Type: Full-time
About the Company:
We are an innovative aerospace company dedicated to advancing technology platforms for space exploration and resource capture. Our goal is to unlock the extensive potential of space for the benefit of humanity by pushing the boundaries of technology and innovation. Our focus lies in the development of large-scale space vehicles and technologies, leveraging the latest advancements to address challenges such as space debris mitigation, object capture and control, deep space exploration, and resource acquisition.
At our company, we aim to accelerate the utilization of space resources by providing unprecedented access to natural objects in close proximity to Earth. We are developing a vehicle capable of object capture, trajectory alterations, and redirection, offering versatile technology for orbital debris mitigation, de-orbiting, and beyond. Our next-generation vehicles will undertake deep space missions to capture and deliver asteroid resources, opening up opportunities for industrial and scientific research.
We are looking for an experienced Robotics Mechanical Engineer to join our robotics team. This individual will contribute to the realization of our ambitious goals. This individual will support the development of robotic systems, including chassis, actuation, and instrumentation systems for space robots, robotic arms, test platforms, and ground support equipment (GSE) for space systems. It will be important for this individual to have a passion for developing robotic systems for space.
As a Robotics Engineer, you will play a crucial role in shaping the future of our company. Your responsibilities will encompass technology development, advanced concepts, design, development, delivery, integration, testing, verification, and validation, as well as the operation of Command and Data Handling (C&DH) Hardware, Flight Software, Power Systems, Robotic Systems, and relevant Guidance & Control activities.
Your future responsibilities will include concept development for robotic systems or components, trade studies and documentation, detailed design and analysis, presentation of design and analysis to review boards, fabrication of parts, specification of purchased parts, assembly of prototypes and flight hardware, and development/verification testing.
Potential projects include research and flight projects such as:
- Asteroid sample return vehicle
- Asteroid retrieval vehicle
- Robotic arm technology demonstration mission for LEO
- Collaborative Robotics demonstration mission for the Moon
- Creation of industrial, exploration, and rescue robots
- LEO Tactical ConOps definition
- Ensuring adherence to industry standards and best practices.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics, or a related technical field, with a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience (advanced degree preferred).
- Expertise in implementing robotic systems or subsystems for spaceflight or terrestrial applications.
- Proficiency in design and analysis using CAD program SolidWorks.
- Experience utilizing numerical analysis toolkits such as MATLAB.
- Knowledge of bolted joint analysis, finite element analysis, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T), traditional manufacturing processes, additive manufacturing, rapid prototyping, material selection, structures, and mechanisms.
- Strong background in small team collaboration, project planning, and task management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to facilitate effective information flow within the team and support the review of team products.
- Familiarity with robotic operating systems, machine vision, simulation, and/or autonomy software such as ROS, OpenCV, Gazebo, etc.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- Familiarity with relevant industry standards, regulations, and best practices in spacecraft development.
- Strategic mindset with a keen eye for identifying emerging trends and technologies that can enhance spacecraft capabilities.
We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of space exploration and technology development. If you possess a deep enthusiasm for space, a solid background in spacecraft development, and the desire to make a significant impact in the industry.