Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Would you like to lead a dynamic and exciting Software Engineering and Technical Operations organization that uses cutting edge technologies to deliver a world changing product that has a direct impact on the lives of cancer and rare disease patients worldwide? Join our growing team and use your exceptional technical and leadership skills to help us deliver on our mission of democratizing Data-Driven Medicine. Our products are used by thousands of healthcare institutions globally and provide world leading capabilities for the analysis of genomic, clinical, and imaging data.
In order to augment our Data Services team we are looking for a Team Lead in Massachusetts, US.
As a Team Lead, you will report directly to the Director of Data Services and manage a group of remote-working Engineers with a focus on developing large-scale data services and data warehouses powering our platform in the digital healthcare sector.
Our platform is a one-of-a-kind globally distributed information system that brings together hospitals and labs to provide data ingestion and processing, analysis and modeling, reporting and intelligence, distribution and sharing of a multitude of complex sources of structured and unstructured data, including genomics, imaging, and clinical data, delivered as a multi-tenant SaaS platform on the cloud.
Your unique blend of management and technical skills related to data allow you to plan, lead, and evaluate the work of your team. You will be responsible for end-to-end delivery of data services, data warehouses, and other projects executed by the team, with expected quality and within time constraints, including appropriate technical documentation, as part of our Software Development Lifecycle. You will liaise with stakeholders in Product and Project Management for estimation, risk-evaluation, and scheduling, of your team's projects and services. You will liaise with QA and legal teams, to ensure compliance of your services with regulatory frameworks. You will exchange with domain experts in Data Science to review and improve technical designs.
For your services and your team, you are developing, implementing, analyzing, and delivering reports on key metrics that yield insight on their health and areas for improvement. You are responsible for the operational support of your services and use incidents to drive continuous improvement of your team's services. You ensure and evaluate the applicability and usage of software best practices (Agile, CI/CD, ...) for your team.
You will organize and support your team's recurring activities, help your team members navigate blocking issues, and ensure proper and timely code and design reviews. You will organize regular team and 1-1 meetings, perform performance evaluations, as well as guide and mentor more junior members of the team. You will define objectives for your team members and develop career progression plans. As you continuously evolve the roadmap of services that fall into your team's domain, you will perform team capacity planning and recruitment. To support your team's activities, you will coordinate projects with stakeholders in Release Management, DevOps, and SysOps, and present your team's work.
Some travel to SOPHiA offices in Boston and Europe will be required (up to 20%).
You are a senior technologist who has collected significant hands-on experience in building service-oriented products and underlying production-ready services that handle large amounts of data in a regulated industry. You have a basic understanding of the domain of genomics and digital healthcare and care for the impact you can have in this field. You have proven your excellent organizational and leadership skills in an earlier position, have an excellent delivery track record and can rally the troops. You know modern software engineering processes and have developed software for service-oriented architectures and data-heavy applications. You understand how to build quality and drive continuous improvement. You are able to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent professional experience
- 7 years' experience in the software engineering field
- 2 years in a management/leadership role
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience working in a regulated industry, defining standards and procedures
- Experience in Software Design and Architecture for Service-Oriented Architectures and Microservices
- Experience in Java (Spring, Hibernate) and Python
- In-depth knowledge of software engineering best practices (Agile, Continuous Value Delivery, CI/CD, DevOps, NoOps, PaaS, IaaS, LEAN software, Service Oriented Architecture, Cloud architecture)
- In-depth knowledge of modern scalable database technologies and SQL
- In-depth knowledge of cloud architecture, IoT, microservices, SaaS
- Good knowledge of GraphQL, Big data (Hadoop, Spark, Kafka)
- Knowledge of digital healthcare, genomics and digital image analysis is a plus
- Experience with distributed Data Warehouses is a plus
- Excellent level of English
- A flexible, friendly and international working environment with a collaborative atmosphere
- An exciting company mission that brings together science and technology to directly impact the lives of patients with life threatening illness.
- A fast-growing company with plenty of opportunity for personal growth and development
- A hard technical challenge to solve with exciting modern technology - cloud computing, Big Data, DevOps, machine learning
Location: HOME OFFICE (Massachusetts and the surrounding states, 2-3h from Boston)
Start: ASAP (or as agreed)
Contract type: permanent full-time
If you think you fit this position, please send a CV and a cover letter. Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
After an initial screening process, candidates will be invited for remote interviews. Selected candidates will then be invited for personal interviews.
Complete the form below to apply for the Team Lead (Data Services) role: